Hypnosis Training Video #460: “Dirty Dozen” Hypnosis Words You Should Never Use

Posted Under: Hypnosis Blog,Hypnosis News,Hypnosis Podcasts,Hypnosis Training,Podcast

ARROW
Cal in Dirty Dozen Hypnosis Words You Should Never Use Brenda in Dirty Dozen Hypnosis Words You Should Never Use

This Is a List of Words That We Use That Hurt Us!

These “Dirty” Words Cause Fear & Mislead…

Here Are Profession-Building Alternative Words

Hello Hypnotists!

In this new hypnosis training video, Brenda and I reveal the dozen words that hurt our profession the most and give you some excellent terms that should take their place! Get this newest video here on www.CalBanyan.com along with many more for FREE.

Like my videos? You will love my certification courses! Click the links below and you’ll discover why…

Hypnosis Certification with Cal Banyan

AND Now Back to Your Free Hypnosis Training Video!

It is definitely time to clean up how we talk about hypnosis! Brenda and I want to make some changes. We know “change is hard” but it doesn’t have to be! And it is completely worth it.

These “Dirty Dozen” Bad Words hurt, frighten and mislead hypnotists and more importantly the public, our potential clients. So, in this video we give you the bad words and some excellent alternatives.

Watch the video now and you will discover:

• Exactly what these bad words are and why they hurt us.
  • How to use some other terms that will help build our profession.
  • See if you agree!

Undeniably True! Words have meaning. Let’s use the words that best represent what we do and build this great profession together.

Keep “Plugged In” – Important News and Announcements

Become a VIPRemember to Subscribe to these videos and you get instant access to all our other videos. It’s FREE.
* Get notified as soon as there is a next new video!
* Get instant access to all the videos already published!
* Click Here It’s FREE! Never miss an episode.

Become a VIPVegas Baby! Meet us at the National Guild of Hypnotists Solid Gold Weekend February 27 – 28, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here is a link to the info.

Thanks so much for watching our Hypnosis, Etc. program and pass it on!

Lets to GREAT things together!

PS – Get More, Be Connected and Please Spread the Word!

Cal Banyan Hypnosis ETCDo you “like” our videos? “Fan” us on our Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/hypnosisetc. Get in on the conversation and we place more “hypno-gold” there on a regular basis. Share us with your hypno-friends! Thanks!

ourhypnospace-website-banner-linkNetwork! Join www.OurHypnoSpace.com! It’s free & fun professional networking!

Thank You! For 20 Years of Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Success!

Banyan Hypnosis Center Celebrating 20 Years of ServiceI am very grateful to have you all in my life! This year marks our 20th Anniversary of being full time in this wonderful profession. During that time, my wife, Maureen and I have had the privilege to work with so many wonderful people including clients, students, graduates around the word and other hypnosis professionals. All of you have enrichened our lives in so many ways!

Thank you! And, we aren’t stopping any time soon.
Let’s do GREAT things together!

16 Reader Comments to Hypnosis Training Video #460: “Dirty Dozen” Hypnosis Words You Should Never Use

1. Emmeline January 19, 2016 at 4:06 AM

I m a french hypnosis practician, and I like to use “partners” instead of patients or clients : means they have to do their work during the session.
    Instead of “sleep”, I m using a lot “relax” during the little window after the pattern interruption, then deeper and deeper connected to yourself. Thanks for your video Cal, it s a pleasure to follow you and it brings something different in my french approach

2. Harold January 19, 2016 at 8:03 AM

In Illinois, you may want to consider deleting the word hypnotherapy as the Psychology licensing law has taken it over. Deleting the word therapy would be wise. You may want to think about the word Coach or coaching.
    Harold MA NGH CH

3. Roberta Fernandez January 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Hi Cal,

Thanks for this blog. It makes me crazy when I hear colleagues use these terms. I’d like to add one to the list (though, sorry, I hear you use it, too) – subjects. It may be a personal thing, but I don’t want to be any one’s subject or be subjected to anything. I prefer person or client.

I’m inspired to keep a list now and share it as kindly as I can with everyone that I hear use these words.

Looking forward to your advance training in February!

Roberta

4. Zarko January 19, 2016 at 11:58 AM

States of suggestibility are overly complicated and not really suggestive. Awakening on my humble opinion does not imply sleep, rather realization (realizing that we have been wrong or realizing other possibilities or so). We can awake from any state or impression around us, sleeping or not. I would like to hear the word waking on because to us, non English speakers it also sounds friendlier and warmer. States of suggestibility sounds administrative. That kind of word someone would expect to find in some government form or so.

5. Erika Flint, BA, BCH, A+CPHI January 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Thanks Cal and Brenda, this was an important video because it outlines the words we should stop using in the hypnosis profession because they’re confusing for our clients and give them the wrong impression.

My clients use the terms “treatment”, “prescribe”, and “diagnosis” all the time and I’m very happy to (nicely) correct my clients and share with them that I’m not a medical doctor so I won’t be prescribing or diagnosing anything. Instead hypnosis reveals the underlying root issue, and we use powerful hypnotic suggestion to empower the change they want to make 😉

I love how you not only listed what terms not to use, but included an updated version of it to use instead.

Thank you.

Erika

6. Brenda Titus January 19, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Thank you for sharing some of your own words, Emmeline. It is a good point to always keep in mind that some of these words also need to be considered based on varying cultures and languages!

7. Andrea A. Squibb, C.Ht. January 19, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Love it- great episode. I am in complete agreement with all! Wondering how you feel about the word “Suggestible” instead of “Susceptible”—I will occasionally let clients know that certain people are more “suggestible” than others but that like a muscle your suggestibility can grow stronger with practice and that we do all hypnotize ourselves to sleep each night and go in and out of light stages of trance throughout the day so we all are “suggestible” in our own way to the process of hypnosis. Love to hear your thoughts. Best wishes, Andrea

8. Susan Mundy January 19, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Yet another excellent episode Cal & Brenda. Thank you. 👏😊

I must admit the list of words really got me thinking too. I’m pleased to say that I have never used the vast majority, but have certainly heard them used by others. Thanks for the alternatives too…as usual Cal, your teaching cred continues to rise!

The word ‘sleep’ is a biggie for me, not that I use it all that much, but it IS in our new 5-PATH inductions too as well as the 8 Word Induction. However, as you mentioned Cal, I clearly articulate what it means during the pre-talk. Nonetheless, I agree that it would be good to lose it completely. The only word I can think of to substitute would be ‘deep’, mainly because it’s short & easy to say and is what we are aiming for right…? Is it a bonus for me that it sounds a bit like sleep as I drop that hand?

Thanks for everything you do,
    Susan

BTW…fantastic to see some new commentors and hear their views. Thank you to you all! Love the fact we have such a diverse cultural audience.

9. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH January 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Hello Susan,

Thanks for your comment and input. You might like to know that now (as shown in the Members area of http://www.5-PATH.com) the word “sleep” is no longer in the “basic” version of the 5-PATH induction and is now part of what we are calling the “advanced” version. This version without the word “sleep” is working just fine both in sessions and with this first certification course that I am teaching at this time.

We are always evolving and pushing forward!

Let’s do GREAT things together,

10. Susan Mundy January 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Whoops…now how on Earth did I miss that?!

Sorry Cal, my bad for not checking back again in our members area for your latest updated version. If it wasn’t already pretty great before, it’s now PERFECT!

5-PATH inductions rock…

Thanks for everything you do 😊

Susan

11. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH January 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Susan – No problem. I will be tweaking it based on our experiences with it and feedback. The version you have is now the “advanced” version as I said before. Of course the word “sleep” is optional.

12. Marcella January 21, 2016 at 5:27 AM

Great episode Cal and Brenda!

Being trained by you, I have noticed that I work hard to think of what words I use and if I slip up, that I quickly ensure to correct myself without making a big deal but giving clarity.

Great list and agree completely. Keeping a list of these words to ensure that these are available and shared with others going through training will be helpful on-going.

The new script helps, however, I love the 8 word induction. I’m heading to the members location to see if there is an update 🙂

Once again, GREAT episode and very timely.

13. Marcella January 21, 2016 at 6:31 AM

After clicking submit, I thought of something I hear from my clients.

Can you heal this?

Eliminate heal with reprogram.

14. Charles Carroll January 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Hi Cal,
    Enjoyed the video on the “dirty” words. I agree wholeheartedly. Another word that I would add is the generic use of the word “doctor” to refer to physicians. “Doctor” is an earned title by many professionals, not a profession in itself. Hypnotists, I believe, would do well to refer to other professionals by their appropriate professional title. It would place us on a more appropriate footing.
    Charles

15. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH January 30, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the comment and your suggestion.

I like your suggestion about calling physicians physicians. Do you think if we started doing that it would catch on with the general public?

16. Karen Westh Nielsen May 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Hi Cal and Brenda.
    Thank you for a wonderfull throw back. This is definitely a must see video for all in our profession since it goes directly to the roots of understanding hypnosis.
    I do not know if this is true for the translation and meaning from danish to english – but from my past as a non- 5-PATH’er I came across a lot of scripts telling the clients to “let go”.
    Used in the context of having the clients fysically relax I have not experienced problems.

But used without proper deepening and test for Level 4, the client could percieve it as an instruction for loosing control or “letting go of themselves” and letting their free will into the hands of the hypnotist. Interviewing clients made me soon realize that there was much better ways to go about things. And then, of course, I became a 5-PATH’er.

I was just wondering if this goes for the english meaning of the words as well?