It’s Friday and of course, that means we have another very special hypnosis training video for you to watch on “Cal Banyan’s Hypnosis, Etc.” located here on www.CalBanyan.com. This is another “solo” video because, as I mentioned in the last episode, Meredith just got back from her vacation in Hawaii and had lots of hypnosis and hypnotherapy work to do. She will be back for the next episode.

New Website Updates & A Winner!

• New “Fan” Page for our program, Hypnosis, Etc. is now on Facebook! Please have a look and let us know what you think. Click to go to the Hypnosis, Etc. Fan Page now.

• You folks like the new comment box at the bottom of each blog entry or podcast. Here is the name of the winner of the comment contest! Lynette Graden won. Actually all the comments were very good, so we could not choose a winner on content, and rather wound up having Danny, our Affiliate Manager, pull a name out of a hat. Thanks everyone for leaving a comment. Lynette, email me at calbanyan@hypnosiscenter.com with your shipping information and your choice of the prizes.

• The comment contest continues! So leave a comment about this episode below, and you can win as well.

The subject of this episode: Technically, what is hypnosis and suggestibility, really?

• What is hypnosis? In this video I provide you with a 3 part definition.

• What is suggestibility? We need to understand what suggestibility is in order to really understand what hypnosis is.

• What does hypnosis feel like? I talk about a huge mistake new hypnotists make when evaluating their client’s depth of hypnosis.

• How can we know if someone is in hypnosis? Hint, don’t ask the client, “Did you feel hypnotized!”

• What is the difference between guided imagery, meditation and hypnosis, or self-hypnosis? There is a very big difference regardless of what you may have been told. Hint, it’s all about suggestibility.

• Do those “blinking hypnosis glasses” work? The answer is if they create a state of heightened state of suggestibility which has been verified by testing each client, then the answer is “yes”. If depth testing is not done, then you can’t really claim that they work.

• What do you think of hypnotists and hypnotherapists who post “sexy videos” on the Internet, where they supposedly cause subjects to have an orgasm, or when they make people feel and act drunk using hypnosis? You’ll have to watch the video to hear my answer to this one because my response is a bit complicated.

Request for comments (One Comment Maker Will Win a Prize!):

• What do you think about my definitions of hypnosis and suggestibility? How can they be improved on, or are they pretty good as well?

• Prize – You choose the hat, or one of my books, Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy or The Secret Language of Feelings.

• Announce the winner here on www.CalBanyan.com in one week or so.

• That is it for this show. Keep sending in your questions and suggestions for future topics!

Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy Training & Materials, Etc:

Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy Training

Get Hypno-1%er Professional Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy Certification Training

Hypnosis Training by Cal Banyan

Make More Money and Get Fit… by joining me on my “Secret Project” and work with me to increase both your health and wealth. I’ve helped hypnotists and non-hypnotists to add thousands to their income by getting on my “secret project” team.

I’ll call you and “spill the beans” letting you in on the whole thing at no cost to you. Email me now at CalBanyan@HypnosisCenter.com. You must live in the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong or Taiwan in order to participate.

That is it for this week. Thank you all for viewing this video. Please pass it along to your friends and colleagues!

7 Reader Comments to Hypnosis Training Podcast Video #133: Hypnosis, Suggestibility, Meditation, Imagery, Blinking Glasses and Sexy Videos on the Web

1. Rob MacInnes September 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I’m not arguing that hypnosis does not have a feeling associated with it but that hat would be useful in these tight economic times. So here goes

I think its possible that for an individual, a heightened state of suggestibility *could* have a subjective feeling associated with it.

I remember having depth tests done on me in class and passing for light levels, internally I was reminded of being at the dentist or possibly doctors office at a young age. there was no abreaction to speak of, just a vague sense of being young and in a clinical setting and following instructions.

I have no idea whether or not I went to a dentist at a very young age who was versed in hypnodontics.

What I’m suggesting is that a state of suggestibility could ‘feel’ like what it felt like on a different occasion while in the presence of an individual who wielded greater than normal suggestive power, due to credentials or status. As in the case of an MD, where the expectation of being around an expert in something can make one more open to their suggestions.

Also I think its possible (in theory) for someone to be so in tune with their bodies that they could get a feeling associated with some of the physiological changes that occur in hypnosis such as the changeover to smooth muscle groups that produce catalepsy and increased blood flow to capillaries.

2. Jim Macy September 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I agree with your comments you make on this video. I also appreciate that you have given your observations. It has been my experience that clients have no idea what they felt like when they were experiencing hypnosis. That is a question that can quickly lead to failure of the client since they may consider that since there was no feeling, there was no hypnosis.

I believe that it is important that anyone entering into the field be properly trained through a legitimate certified program or better yet, an accredited school of hypnotherapy.

Your comments on meditation vs. hypnosis has been studied by many researchers using the PET scan and other medical devices. These researchers have shown that different portions of the brain are used for meditation and hypnosis.

As far as the glasses are concerned I would probably put the in the same category as the entrainment modes. All in all, the bottom line is that without proper testing especially covert testing, there is no way (other than perhaps PET scans) to know when a person enters into a hypnotic state, or the depth of the state.

3. Kent September 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM

What does hypnosis feel like? It feels like what the hypnotist suggests. You kinda left out, as most of us do, that the hypnotist should always do a convincer. Doing the eye thing is not always enough. A post suggestion for rapid reinduction is a great convincer. When they go into trance rapidly it feels like “hypnosis”. The convincer is what keeps the client from talking themselves out of getting better. I wasn’t really hypnotised. I’ll just keep….

4. Linda M. Casciaro September 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I have only been a certified Hypnotist for just over a year and attended my first NGH Convention last month. I had the honor of taking one of your classes and just found this site and free pod cast. I don’t have anything specific to comment about on what you spoke about, but loved it all. I am looking forward to learning more from you and hope to also learn about 5 Path very soon. Any help I can get to build my confidence as a Hypnotist is much appreciated. I am also NYS Licecnsed Massage Therapist and hope to grow my practice of doing Hypnosis as well as Massage to assist people to heal from the inside out. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.
    Peace and Joy
    Linda

5. ed lester September 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I make it very clear to clients from the start that they do hypnosis, they have all the resources and it is their imagination and genius which will firstly get them into hypnosis and then make positive changes.

So when a client comes out of hypnosis for the first time, I always encourage saying something like “easy wasn’t it?” or “how easy did you find that?” because it enables them to take ownership of the experience and clarify it in their own way (hopefully and usually very positively.)

Hope this helps someone!

6. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, FNGH September 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Rob – Thanks for your thoughtful comment. All things are possible. 🙂

Jim – Thanks for your comments and input as well. I know that the research exists; can you cite the studies for us on hypnosis vs. meditation? That would be very nice to have.

Kent – Thanks for your comments. I love talking about convincers. My favorite convincers are eyelid catalepsy, arm catalepsy, time distortion and sensitivity to the color red (post-hypnotically).

Linda – Thanks for your kind remarks about the podcast series. I wish such a thing existed when I was newer in the profession. It really would have helped me out. I am honored to be able to make them available to you and all who want to become the best of the best in the profession. I look forward to seeing you in class!

PS – Two courses coming up. 10 day certification course in October and the Week of Power advanced certification in November. Go to http://www.HypnosisCenter.com to find out more!

7. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, FNGH September 9, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Hi Ed – Thanks for the comment, you just got in “under the wire” we are going to be checking the next winner for our comments prize/reward deal. Thanks for your thoughtful addition to our comments area.