hypnosis training cal banyan progressive relaxation induction

We are starting a new series, called the Dead Series, on this episode of Hypnosis, Etc. on www.CalBanyan.com. In today’s episode, I talk about why the Progressive Relaxation Induction should be laid to rest, because it is time consuming, unreliable, induces sleep, and not effective. I, then, discuss why the updated Elman-Banyan Rapid Induction is a better technique to use, because it helps get your clients into somnambulism quickly, reliably, efficiently, and effectively.

If you enjoy learning from these videos, we suggest that you tell your friends about this helpful resource for hypnotists and hypnotherapists around the world. Remember to check out our Hypnosis, Etc. page on Facebook, at www.facebook.com/hypnosisetc. Please “Like” it and get into the conversation.

Today’s Discussion Points:

• Why the Progressive Relaxation Induction should be dead.
  • Progressive Relaxation Induction is time consuming, unreliable, induces sleep, and not effective.
  • Why Elman-Banyan Rapid Induction should be used instead of progressive relaxation induction.
  • Elman-Banyan Rapid Induction helps get your clients into somnambulism quickly, reliably, efficiently, and effectively.
  • Learn where you can get free training on Elman-Banyan Rapid Induction.

Hot Links: Links Mentioned in this Podcast, Etc.

This Week Only – Save 20% Off Instant & Rapid Inductions for the Professional DVD Set

• Learn how to induce deep levels of hypnosis in a matter of minutes or even seconds.
  • It’s time to update your inductions and get better results!
  • Save 20% and get your copy of Instant & Rapid Inductions for the Professional today.

Get Your Professional National Guild of Hypnotists Approved Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy Certification – Early registration discounts available.

Certificates from the NGH Approved Banyan Hypnosis Certification Super CourseRead What Our Grads Say!
Questions?
Call us at
469-969-2176 or 800-965-3390

Be a VIP – Keep in touch and get THE latest insider info about this program:

Hypnosis VIPAlso remember to stay in touch and on the inside by becoming part of our VIP Program, and by “Liking” our facebook page at www.facebook.com/hypnosisetc. By joining our free VIP Program you get instant access to the complete listing of all our free hypnosis training videos that you can watch any time.

19 Reader Comments to Hypnosis Training Video #268: Dead Series – Part I – Why Progressive Relaxation Induction Should Be Dead and the Elman-Banyan Rapid Induction Should Be Used Instead

1. lydia March 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ha ha, you are funny.

Would you never use it, perhaps for pain management or birthing, something like that?

P.s. I use the elman/banyan or AIAR induction

2. Lonnie March 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Cal, that’s a very uneducated opinion. Do some research on Progressive Relaxation. The benefits are proven and clear.

Here’s a link to get you started: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=progressive+muscle+relaxation&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C37&as_sdtp=on

3. Cal March 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hello Lonnie – Thanks for you comment and I appreciate your link. Here is a thought for you, if muscle relaxation is important, why not first quickly and effectively (without causing your client to fall asleep) induce a deep level of hypnosis (somnambulism) and then suggest deep muscle relaxation? They you would have the best of both worlds. You would save a significant amount of time, and be both efficient and effective.

Let’s do GREAT things together,

4. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Hi Lydia – That for your question/comment. We love to get comments!

Like I said to Lonnie, if profound relaxation was my goal, I would first do a fast, reliable and effective induction that takes someone to a deep level of hypnosis, and then suggest deep/profound relaxation. I get relaxation much faster when I already have somnambulism. So, no I never use the progressive relaxation induction, unless I am TRYING to put my client to sleep.

Congratulations for mastering the Elman-Banyan Induction and the AIAR induction. You ROCK.

5. Issac Weiss March 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Cal I’m surprised with you you murder such a old induction, lucky some of the people listening haven’t paid for a live class, because you would scared them away of class.
    Cal as you started to say never use it, I’m thinking to myself, I never used a progressive relaxation induction EVER with any of my clients. But, I made it as a self-hypnosis for sleep for a client with Insomnia, and then you said you made the same tape for sleep ( I guess I heard it from you at some point)
    I so agree with you, instant and rapid inductions, is the way to go.
    Problem is with Hypnotist who never practiced it and are not sure it will work. Good idea to do whatever induction you use, then give a suggestion that next time you will hypnotize them you will use a instant or rapid induction like close your eyes and sleep, and they will go in faster and deeper, and you ask them to open their eye and you do the instant induction and you will see how great it works.
    Keep up the good work
    Issac Weiss, BCH
    Hypnosis in montreal

6. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Issac,

Perfect! You are exactly right.

Keep spreading the news,

7. Dr. Michael G Millett March 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Cal, I think it has its uses and with some clients in particular but instant and rapid inductions are better of course. It`s like computers – they are getting smaller and faster ! Enjoyed reading the posts and comments here and thank you.

Elevated
    Therapy Hypnotherapy

8. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Michael – Can you tell us more about your opinion and experience which led you to believe that the progressive relaxation induction “has its uses and with some clients in particular…”? If I am missing something I’d like to know it.

9. Dr. Michael G Millett March 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Cal, I think when  a person needs a relaxing hypnotic trance and to get the beneifit from the relaxation process as well, especially if they find it difficult to relax generally. Helpful for them to relieve the tension in chest, legs or elsewhere etc., especially if it is chrionic tension. Can be an added positive experience for people.

Regards, Michael
    <a
     href=”Hypnotherapy”>http://www.elevatedtherapy.org.uk/hypnosis.html“>Hypnotherapy
    in Grantham</a>

10. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Hello Michael – Well, like I said to Lonnie above, “Here is a thought for you, if muscle relaxation is important, why not first quickly and effectively (without causing your client to fall asleep) induce a deep level of hypnosis (somnambulism) and then suggest deep muscle relaxation? Then you would have the best of both worlds. You would save a significant amount of time, and be both efficient and effective.” Suggestions for deep relaxation during or after the hypnosis session are always going to be more readily accepted in somnambulism.

Thanks again for your comment.

11. Hypnotherapy in Grantham March 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I take your point Cal but some people like the gentleness of a Progressive Relaxation Induction, particularly older clients and those that may have had this method before. And… the client (customer) is always right. LOL. Very Best, Michael

12. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Michael – Did you know that a rapid induction such as the Elman-Banyan induction can be just as gentile as a progressive relaxation induction? And, you achieve deep hypnosis without all of the problems associated with doing a progressive relaxation induction. Plus, you have that much more time for doing the work of hypnosis/hypnotherapy.

In addition, I’ve found that “older” clients are more likely to fall asleep during a session than younger types. Because of this it makes sense to me that doing rapid inductions would be the best way to go even in this case.

Finally, I’ve also found that most repeat clients who have experienced deep hypnosis in a previous session just want to get there as soon as possible, regardless of age.

I’ll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. 🙂

Thanks again for the comment Michael and very best wishes!

13. Hypnotherapy in Grantham March 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

You make fair points here Cal. I have just looked at the Elman-Banyan induction you mention with the three major changes to the original Dave Elman Induction by you. I`ll give it a try. Thank you. Very Best, Michael

14. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Thanks Michael – I hope it will fill your needs.

15. Elly March 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Another BRILLIANT video! I will admit that the progressive is the way I was taught but over the last couple of years I have watched so many of your training videos and I know that when I open my clinic I will be using your version of the Banyan induction. I fully agree the progressive is so boring! Personal goings on have prevented me getting started until now, but soon I will be up and running and I’m so glad I won’t need to bore my clients into submission 😉

Thank you for your sharing and support Cal. You are a true inspiration as well as brilliant teacher.

16. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Thank you so much Elly 🙂 I know that you are going to great in your practice. And, who knows, maybe one day I’ll get out to you see you in Australia some day.

With you on the Path,

17. Giselle March 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I LOVE this episode Cal and all Hypno Fans!

DITO on all you are sharing Cal, the suggestibility tests are great for group demos but doing it with clients is just risky, so I don’t use them… never would use them!!

In fact, I love the fact that we have learnt RAPID – INSTANT Inductions, which save us time and are fast and efficient. I particularly love doing the Affect Bridge Age Regression, it is so smooth, so effective, so right to the point! would not change this for anything!

The 8 Word Induction is also another favorite of mine… my clients love it too 🙂

Hypno Fans: If you have not learn the Rapid-Instant Inductions from Cal yet, highly recommend you to do so… your clients will LOVE you even more and you will get a great set of tools to become even more efficient in your work

Regarding the permissive or directive approach, you want to be using the directive approach. When we work with our clients we use the permissive approach right at the beginning and that is enough (when we ask: Do I have permission to touch your hand, elbow, shoulder and even your forehead) once your client has given you permission and is keen to do the session with you, why would you want to be permissive longer than needed??

In my mind, even just thinking about being permissive more than needed with my client, simply drives me nuts! because it makes me feel I would waste so much time when I can be directive and get my client to do what she came to do with me!

Great episode Cal, keep them coming….

Love to all

Giselle

18. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Thank you Giselle – Your comment clearly shows why you are an instructor. You are right on.

Keep checking in and commenting.

With you on the Path,

19. Michael Lennon March 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hi Cal,
    I know that I never use a progressive relaxation technique either. I tend to enjoy using the Hand Clasp method myself modified with the imagination picturing rope being wrapped around the hands getting tighter and tighter. Coupled with touching their fingers randomly at different intervals while making the suggestions and using a gentle pull downward and a soft spoken SLEEP to drop them quickly. From there I rock them back and forth using suggestions to deepen them with each rock and sway of the body.
    Once they have relaxed more, i raise and drop each arm into the lap doubling the sensation and finally finishing up with a mental relaxation of counting backwards from 100 till the numbers disappear. Sometimes I’ll even add walking down stairs as a further deepener.
    Spending the length of time it takes for a progressive relaxation technique one doesn’t have the time for and it also allows more time for other clients to be seen as well.