Posted Under: Hypnosis Blog,Hypnosis News,Hypnosis Podcasts,Hypnosis Training,Podcast

ARROW
Cal in Controversy – DON’T Call Yourself a “Clinical” Hypnotist, and a Behind the Scenes Look at Becoming a LeaderKelly in Controversy – DON’T Call Yourself a “Clinical” Hypnotist, and a Behind the Scenes Look at Becoming a Leader

Will Calling Yourself a Clinical Hypnotist or Hypnotherapist Cause Problems?

Kelly Talks about the Qualities of a Leader in the Profession of Hypnotism

How to Step Up Into a Leadership Position in the Profession of Hypnosis

Kelly Cohee is back with me for another fun, free and very controversial episode of Hypnosis, Etc.

In this episode, I go full speed ahead revealing my concern for those in the profession who are potentially misleading people by calling themselves a “Clinical” Hypnotist or Hypnotherapist. Is this illegal? Dangerous? Even embarrassing? Watch my rant and then you decide!

Kelly then takes the program into an entirely different direction and lets us in on some of the most important characteristics for a leader in our profession.

I respond to her insights with a story that is almost too personal to tell, revealing how I worked on myself to bring out some of my leadership qualities. I encourage those who want to do great things in this profession to “step up” and take on greater and greater challenges.

We also agree on the idea that real leaders are looking for future leaders to “lift up” to higher levels of prominence in the profession! Watch and see if you can find a way to step up and become a leader or more of a leader in our profession of hypnotism!

Next… Remember to check out my upcoming class schedule here on this site to see when my upcoming classes are and see if you can get in on the early registration discounts. Then, I’ll see you in class.

Once again, remember to get instant access to over 400 fun and informative hypnosis training videos like this one by becoming a VIP member of the site. It’s free.

Leave us a comment and let us know what you think. Like I have mentioned before, we always want to hear your feedback, questions and topic ideas.

Let’s do GREAT things together!
Cal Banyan

PS… More Important Links & Info:

Certificates from the NGH Approved Banyan Hypnosis Certification Super CourseMake sure you check out our upcoming courses and get in on any early registration discounts that apply! Early registration discounts don’t last forever. Get world class training onsite in our classroom or participate live online from your home or office!

Hypnotherapist Kelly CoheeVisit Kelly’s Webpage for information about having sessions with Kelly Cohee. Or give our office a call. We are happy to answer your questions. Kelly is a first rate hypnosis professional who provides you with caring and confidential sessions.

Hypnosis VIP FREE INSTANT ACCESS TO ALL OUR HYPNOSIS, ETC. VIDEOS Get a super easy linked list of all Hypnosis, Etc. training videos! VIP Membership is free – Click Now!

ourhypnospace-website-banner-linkBecome a member of www.OurHypnoSpace.com! It’s free and fun professional networking! Use the “Ask Cal“ Group on www.OurHypnospace.com to ask questions and suggest topic ideas for the Hypnosis, Etc. show!

calbanyan-hypnosis-etc-facebook-likesDo you “like” our videos?
“Fan” us on our Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/hypnosisetc.
We place more “gold” there on a regular basis. Join the conversation!

17 Reader Comments to Hypnosis Training Video #426: Controversy – DON’T Call Yourself a “Clinical” Hypnotist, and a Behind the Scenes Look at Becoming a Leader

1. Erika Flint, BCH, CPHI March 17, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Thank you Cal and Kelly for a great episode on two important things – how dangerous it can be to use the term clinical hypnotist, and what it takes to be a leader in the profession. I appreciated insight on both of these topics, and it was fun to hear Cal share his personal experience and thoughts on leadership. It is important to step up and be a leader – and that doesn’t mean you have everything “figured out” sometimes you have to step up and put yourself out there at the same time. So you don’t have to wait until you feel like an expert to step up! Great advice, thanks to both of you.

2. Brenda Titus March 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Thank you Cal and Kelly for sharing your insights about leadership. As you talked about the inner drive and passion, and knowing that you’re doing what you are meant to do, it helps fan the flames to keep you going when it’s hard and to inspire others to do so as well. It is true that Cal is a “dig in deep, all-in” kind of leader, and he continually inspires me to do better and to be better. Thanks Cal!!

Great job Kelly on your second episode!! Thanks for bringing a great topic to the table!

3. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Hi Brenda – I knew that Kelly was going to talk about leadership but I did not know that she was going to use me as an example, and turn it into an interview. I think it turned out well anyway. Thanks. Cal

4. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Hi Erika – Thanks for the comment. As you can see I am passionate about this idea of not pretending to be something you are not, in this case, pretending to be a medical professional by calling oneself a “clinical hypnotherapist”. I think doing so endangers the entire profession. If we want to be a respected and distinct profession then we cannot impinge on the other professions by co-opting their titles. Thanks for all you do! Cal

5. Susan Mundy March 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Firstly, well done Kelly on your second podcast – you have a natural ability to communicate well & I’m sure you’re going to go from strength to strength. I enjoyed both podcasts immensely. It was great ‘getting to know you a bit’, thanks for sharing.

Cal… I agree with Kelly that you seem to be a great leader. you are most certainly one of the most motivated people I’ve come across in all my internet research on anything to do with hypnosis & I love that about you, thanks for sharing the passion and all the information you do.

Now, onto your rant about the term ‘Clinical’. I was fascinated by your talk, and have to admit you have me thinking hard about this one. My problem with it, or more correctly question about it, is this. I have actually completed a Diploma of Clinical Hypnosis and Psychotherapy here in Australia. I have also just started my full distance training with you, so hopefully very soon will also be a top 1% er too. And as I’m currently in the process of creating a website for my practice, I’m interested in what you think about what I should call myself, mind you I think I probably know the answer now.

Even though I also hold a Bachelors Degree in Psychology (but am not a clinical psychologist) and I am currently doing Post Grad in Professional Counselling, I seemed to be under the impression that made me worthy of being a ‘Clinical Hypnotherapist’. Now, I’m not so sure.

I have a professional workshop next weekend at my hypnosis training school & this is a question I intend asking. I will be intrigued with the answers offered there but am interested in what you think Cal.

Thanks Cal, look forward to your thoughts
    Susan

6. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Hi Susan – Thanks for your thoughtful response to the video and my rant in particular.

What you decide to call yourself is completely up to you. If you are practicing in another country then your circumstances may be different. But here in the USA things are as they are and their are those in the AMA and APA that would like to completely shut down our profession. For them it has been a kind of “turf war”.

So I recommend that hypnosis professionals stay away from using medical terms and titles in describing who we are and what we do (unless you are in deed a medical professional or licensed Psychologist). Doing so will help to secure the ongoing development and growth of our profession and help to ensure that we will be able to continue to practice what we love, and continue to help so many people through the power of hypnosis.

7. Susan Mundy March 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Thanks for that quick reply Cal.

Everything you say makes perfect sense to me & yes, I might be in another Country, but I fear the same difficulties could be seen here too. The AMA, APA & AHA here have been known to be like dogs with a bone on certain occasions.

As an example, one of my final university units was Behavioural Psychology & we had to do a You Tube video using the principles of Behavioural psyc to help the viewer with a problem they wanted to change (our choice). I chose stop smoking & received accolades from the lecturer & he asked if he could post the link on our uni site to show other students a great example. No problems, right from my perspective…real nice pat on the back. A couple of weeks later, I was asked to take it down as he had been approached by “anon” saying that in my introduction I said that I was a “psychologist in training” and the title Psychologist was only to be legally used if I was interning & under application to the APA for registration!

On reflection I think I will drop the Clinical altogether & go with Consulting Hypnotist & Psychotherapist. What do you think?

Susan

8. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 18, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Hi Susan – It sounds like you have a similar situation there as we do here. I think that Consulting Hypnotist is the best way to go, or even Professional Hypnotist. Thanks for the exchange. I love comments!

9. Thomas McGurn March 18, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Well said Cal. Keep up the good work.

10. Celeste Hackett March 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Great job you two! Welcome Kelly!

11. Penny March 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Hi Cal,

I wish I had this advice before I had ‘branded’ my business. In CT I can conduct hypnosis sessions under my APRN licensure. My website has always indicated that I do not work with any symptom-related or issues without proper diagnosis and confirmation from the primary care physician or therapist (anxiety, OCD, etc). At the time I had looked up a definition of Clinical Hypnosis that referred to it as hypnosis practice by someone with advanced education in medicine, nursing, counseling, dentistry, etc. So I did not have the concerns that you have now raised.
    Very soon I will be relocating my practice to another state and changing the name slightly to eliminate this concern. But in the meantime I have added the following clause to my Client Bill of Rights and a variation on the home page of my website. Maybe this will add a layer of protection until I get relocated in a few months.

“At Genesis Center for Clinical Hypnosis, the word “Clinical” in our name indicates Penny’s advanced nursing education, NOT the provision of medical/clinic services. Therefore, any client seeking hypnosis for a medical related condition needs to present signed approval or a referral from their physician, indicating that the medical professional is aware of the client’s intent to use hypnosis as a complementary ‘therapy’. While hypnosis is an effective complementary adjunct for management of many medical conditions and/or symptoms, we make no guarantee of alleviation or elimination of said conditions/symptoms.”

I will require the clients initials on this paragraph. What do you think Cal?

12. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 25, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Hi Penny – Of course everyone knows that I am not an attorney so this is not legal advice by any means. I’m just sharing my point of view from my perspective and experience. 🙂

I am not comfortable with your solution. What if we changed the word “clinical” to the word “medical” in your paragraph after all they mean virtually the same thing. ““At Genesis Center for Medical Hypnosis, the word “Medical” in our name indicates Penny’s advanced nursing education, NOT the provision of medical/clinic services. Therefore, any client seeking hypnosis for a medical related condition needs to present signed approval or a referral from their physician, indicating that the medical professional is aware of the client’s intent to use hypnosis as a complementary ‘therapy’.

I advise everyone who is not a licensed medical professional to stay clear of such terms such as “clinical”, “treatment”, “symptoms”, and other such terms that can cause confusion. We just don’t need them, and of course there can be legal problems as well if you do use them.

Here are just a couple more thoughts… Like all professionals, we need to know the laws where we work and abide by them or face the consequences. Secondly, this can be a bit of a challenge because others in your area with no greater training or licensure than you are using them! This deceptive practice by others can put you at a disadvantage in the broader marketplace and make you feel pressured into using these deceptive practices as well. But don’t do it! You don’t need to. Just do excellent work and be a true hypnosis professional and you will do fine. Your hypnosis practice can thrive. Great hypnosis businesses are not built on titles and jargon, they are built by hypnosis professionals who get results.

I hope that helps!

13. Susan Mundy March 25, 2015 at 3:07 PM

“…Great hypnosis businesses are not built on titles and jargon, they are built by hypnosis professionals who get results”

Cal, in my opinion you sum it up perfectly with just that sentence.

14. Penny March 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Thanks Cal. I appreciate the feedback. Hopefully I will be moved out of state very soon, and re-branding can be a one-time deal when I start my new practice.
    Penny

15. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 25, 2015 at 3:51 PM

I’m so glad that we could help! Keep watching and remember that we listen to our viewers topic ideas and use their questions!

16. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 25, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Thanks Susan! Sometimes I say something cool. Now I’m going to have to write that down. LOL

17. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH March 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM

I’m very glad to help out!