Don’t Be a Hypno-wimp!

Posted Under: Hypnosis Blog,Links

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/calbanyan/calbanyan.com/wp-content/themes/calbanyan-hypnosis-authority/single.php on line 106

no-hypno-wimps.gifIt is time for the profession to move forward, but some in the profession are still holding back. They are “wimping out.” Why? Because they are hypno-wimps. I know that I will be attacked for writing this. I am ready for the phone to ring, and the emails to fill in my inbox. So go ahead, if you don’t agree with me, complain. I’m ready for you.

You might be asking yourself, what the heck is Cal talking about. What are “hypno-wimps” and where do they come from? In this article, I will explain it all and go on to explain how hypno-wimps everywhere can break free and leave their wimpy approach to hypnosis, perhaps to rise to the level of being average, or perhaps to move to an altogether higher level in the profession, to be the best of the best, the hypno-1%’ers™.

Where do hypno-wimps come from? Well, it could be because these wimpy hypnotists didn’t have access to modern hypnosis training. They may just be happy with the results that they have been getting. Not that there is anything wrong with being a hobby hypnotist, most hypno-wimps are in this category, few are full time hypnosis professionals. But, unfortunately, some of these hypno-wimps have made it to professional status, and, frankly, I believe that when this happens, it hurts the profession as a whole.

So, what exactly is a hypno-wimp? Since I coined the term hypno-wimp, then it is up to me to define it. (Your definition may vary. And, I reserve the right to refine this definition over time, as needed to clarify what I mean.) Basically hypno-wimps use the least powerful hypnotic techniques, either out of lack of training (in the use of more powerful techniques), or because they are just too afraid to move on to the use of the more powerful techniques (which move them out of the category, whereby they could become average, or if they decided to use the most powerful techniques, they could become hypno-1%’ers™). How to tell if you are a hypno-wimp:

1. You do not test for depth of hypnosis during your sessions. You figure that you said the hypnotic induction to the client and if the client doesn’t go into hypnosis, then it is the client’s fault.
  2. You do not use convincers. Hypnotic convincers are tests to show the client that he or she is hypnotized. Since you are a hypno-wimp, you don’t know whether or not your clients are hypnotized, so obviously you don’t care to demonstrate it to your clients. Convincers don’t work if your clients are not hypnotized, so just to be on the safe side, overall it is probably best to not test or do convincers, right?.
  3. Being a hypno-wimp means that you often use other terms to hide the fact that you do hypnosis. Rather than saying I am a hypnotist and I propose that we do some hypnosis, you say something like, “let’s do some relaxation work” or “let’s do some visualization work, “ or “let’s do some guided imagery.” (Note that some really good hypnotists who are definitely NOT hypno-wimps need to disguise what they are doing because of an environment where hypnosis is banned. Good for you. You are brave and you are NOT a hypno-wimp.)

The solution:

1. If you never heard about depth testing and convincers, you should get more training.
  2. If you have never heard of (or have been warned away from) even more powerful techniques such as Age Regression Work, Parts Work, and so on, you should get more training.
  3. If you have learned these techniques and you are afraid to use them, perhaps your training was insufficient.
  4. If you have had sufficient training in these more powerful techniques but are still afraid to use them, then either you need to work on yourself, or perhaps this profession is not for you.

In any case, you don’t need to be a hypno-wimp any more. Ask around, learn about who has a good reputation for teaching these advanced techniques. Really do some investigating. There are some teachers out there who can help you. Be wary of those who say, “Ah, you don’t need to know that stuff, take my class and you will be fine” when you ask them about teaching you powerful modern techniques. Demand the best, and grow in this profession.

Imagine what it will be like as your skills and abilities develop to the point where you can experience a success rate that approaches 100%, and you rise to the top of the profession. Isn’t that what you really wanted when you entered the profession? Seek out the best courses and you can have just that.

I recommend that you look into my Week of Power training program if you are already certified in the profession. There are several qualified teachers as well as myself who conduct the course at various times. We can definitely take the hypno-wimp and amp up your skills and confidence in our course. If you have not had any real training in the profession yet, you are just deciding to enter the profession then I want to recommend our NGH Certification Course with 5-PATH® and 7th Path Self-Hypnosis® then you can start off with the advanced training “under your belt” and you will be well on your way to being a hypno-1%’er™. (No class can make you a hypno-1%’er™, that comes from mastering the advanced techniques that you learn in class.)

Visit our website at www.HypnosisCenter.com or call our office at (714) 258-8380 to learn more about our programs. What! You don’t live in the Southern California area? And, you can’t get away to attend our courses? That is fine with us. Most of the classes we conduct are available in a hands-on, live version over the Internet, or we have Certified Professional Hypnosis Instructors around the USA, as well as in Asia and Australia. Give us a call and we can help you connect with the instructor and class that will work for you.

As the profession continues to mature, hypno-wimps will hopefully become dinosaurs, and become extinct. If your training put you in this soon-to-be-extinct category, don’t be left behind. Call us now or use the Contact Us form to request information today.

NOTE:

• All of our live courses come with a satisfaction guarantee.
  • Our Week of Power is available in a condensed, distance learning course format on DVDs.
  • Call now because we offer early enrollment discounts and class size is limited. So we cannot guarantee that you will be able to get enrolled in a class unless you do so early.

11 Reader Comments to Don’t Be a Hypno-wimp!

1. Josh Houghton October 26, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Great article once again and a well needed kick in the butt to some hypnotist. A mentor of mine once told me the only way to be great is to be great! Now if we as hypnotist can just all unite for the betterment of our profession. I guess one thing at a time. 🙂

2. Celeste Hackett October 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Say it like it is Cal! WOOO HOOOO?!

Celeste Hackett, CH

3. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, FNGH October 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Thanks for your support. Let’s kick it up a notch and get people excited about doing REALLY great work.

4. Steve R. October 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Hee hee, love the “No Hypno-Wimps!” logo in this post. I’d like to put it up as a sign in my office. It’s great that you’re motivating hypnotists to kick it up a notch, but how are consumers supposed to know if the person they’re going to see is a hypno-wimp or not? I think this is a puzzle because if you educate the public about convincers and covert tests, and also about the use of the more powerful techniques, that can complicate matters when doing the work with them, right?

On a similar note but more 5-PATH specific, just because a hypnotist markets themselves as a 5-PATHer, how is a client supposed to know if they are really doing 5-PATH? With the hypnotists in your center, you can do quality control by reviewing sessions, but I could imagine that external hypnotists might have gone thru training and gotten the neat certificate, but for whatever reasons are not actually using the techniques. Then clients and the public could end up thinking that 5-PATH was all about “imagine going to a nice happy place” or “you are getting very very relaxed”. Conundrums are fun.

5. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, FNGH October 29, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Hi Steve – Feel free to use the logo.

I suppose we have to be a bit like the magicians and keep some or our techniques secret, like convincers, and so on. This blog is mainly designed to teach and motivate hypnosis professional, and I find that most or our clients don’t read this sort of thing.

Your are right about the fact that there is no way that we can ensure that the graduates of our Certification courses are actually doing 5-PATH(R). But this is true of just about every educational program. I have a BS and MA in psychology from the University of North Dakota, and I can put those degrees on my website, etc. but UND can not be assured, or could the public be assured that I will use anything that I learned there. In fact, I don’t use most of what they taught me.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments,
    Cal Banyan

6. Burt Borkan November 13, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Interesting concept, but I don’t fully agree. I do agree with number 2, that you should use convincers for your client to know that they are in an “altered state” and not just “going along”. I also agree with number 3 and am quite proud to say I am a hypnotist. However, I know some practitioners and potential clients who are scared by this word and as with anything you need to judge what is the best way to build rapport. Once you’ve done that, the word “hypnosis” isn’t going to be a problem.

I do have some major issues with point 1. I rarely if ever do specific tests for depth anymore. This is probably a good thing for people who are new and still feeling their way as a hypnotist, but once you’ve done it a while you don’t need to do specific tests. If you’re good and you observe, you’ll know from the way the client responds (everything from body movements to voice to breathing) if they’re in trance. If you are doing convincers, those also signify to you how the person is responding.

Finally, let’s define DEPTH OF TRANCE. Many hypnotists still look for the level of relaxation as depth. The truth is that depth really is referring to the suggestibility of a client. You can have a client who is very suggestible in trance but the body is not particularly relaxed, or you can have someone who is completely relaxed but is not open to the suggestions. The first one is “deep” in trance, while the second is very relaxed but would not really be “deep” in terms of the mental levels (somnabulism and beyond) needed for trance work to be at its best.

OH – one more thing – a true Hypno-Wimp is someone who goes along with a group dynamic even when they KNOW it is not correct or not the best way…and who do not challenge those thoughts and ideas. It may turn out the group was right, but if you don’t challenge you won’t learn or advance others’ learning.

7. George Guarino February 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Every day, every session I work toward attaining these standards. Thanks for the push Cal.

What can I do to help you Cal. Please let me know.

George

8. Josh Burns August 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I’m new around here but I loved this piece. As a Stage Hypnotist, I definitely know the value of convincers and depth testing. Let the Wimpnotists™ of the world be warned, their time has come!

9. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH August 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Hi Josh – Thanks for leaving a comment. Keep checking back. Most of what we cover is in regard to working with clients, but I’m sure and entertainer like yourself can find one or to things to learn.

10. Jason Del Campo October 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Burt, I have some comments on what you said(even though you might not read this as this post is extremly old). I’m not trying to be confrontational only offer my thoughts.

First off, if a client is too scared of hypnosis, than the hypnotist has not given a good pretalk. Simple as that.
    As hypnotists we need to be like healers, actors and used car salesmen all in one… I.e. we have to truly believe in their potential for change, as well as convey and convince them that it s possible, even if at first they don’t believe it. There is a lot of responsibility when people come to you as a hypnotherapist, and doing those things are some of the biggest ones.

Depth is trance is vitally important as it is important that the client be guided to abreaction, and they can really only do that if they are deep enough to be guided and revivify. Anything besides addressing the root cause and dealng with underlying emotionsis a band aid treatment at best.

11. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, DNGH October 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Hello Jason – Thanks for commenting on this old entry. We love it whenever someone like yourself takes the time to write to us and the other commenters.

Let’s do GREAT things together,