Smart Hypnosis Professionals Will Say, “Hypnosis Doesn’t Heal Anything”

Posted Under: Hypnosis Blog

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/calbanyan/calbanyan.com/wp-content/themes/calbanyan-hypnosis-authority/single.php on line 106

Woman with stethoscope
I just have to get this off my chest. Hypnosis doesn’t heal anything. Every hypnosis professional needs to think about that statement carefully, and then integrate it into what he or she is doing.

When you take this approach, you help to distance yourself from those who would say that you are not qualified to work in the “healing arts.” Why is that a good idea in my opinion? Too many hypnotists and hypnotherapists are getting dangerously close to finding themselves in trouble with the law and the American Medical Association.

Smart hypnosis professionals should not call themselves healers. If you call yourself a “healer” you may be giving the members of the AMA just what they need to go after you for practicing medicine without a license. When you call yourself a “healer” you make it more difficult for hypnosis professionals everywhere to practice and help those who we can help.

I recommend that you take a stand and say something like this:

1. I am a hypnosis professional (a hypnotist, or Consulting Hypnotist). I work with everyday people who want help with breaking habits, improving motivation and increasing personal performance, and so on.

2. I do have skills that people with health issues can benefit from, for example, reducing stress, improving sleep, and so on. I work with medical issues when I can partner with a medical professional who is licensed to diagnose illness and recommend hypnosis to their patients.

3. I am not a healer. There are only two sources of healing; your body’s own innate ability to heal itself (given the right conditions) and healing which can come from our Creator.

Ah, I feel so much better now.

What do you think? Should hypnotists call themselves healers? Are you ready to take on the AMA? Do you really think that you can win that battle?

6 Reader Comments to Smart Hypnosis Professionals Will Say, “Hypnosis Doesn’t Heal Anything”

1. Rich Smith October 4, 2007 at 6:28 AM

I agree with both Joe and Cal. I, too, have seen people with medical issues find healing using hypnosis, but I know that I didn’t “heal” them, I just used hypnosis to give their mind/body a nudge to heal itself.

2. Steve R. October 4, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Just my opinion, but claiming that hypnosis can cure allergies and asthma seems to be just another way of claiming that hypnotists can heal people.

This reminds me of a hypnotist who is proudly claiming to have earned a PhD. in hypnosis without even a high school diploma. This hypnotist is actually writing a regular column in a local newspaper, presenting herself as a “Dr.” and providing medical advice to readers who don’t know any better. Sounds like trouble to me- I’d be nervous about this if I was practicing in the same state!

3. Kamran October 10, 2007 at 1:59 AM

There are issues other than health in which a hypnotist can specialize in, right? I mean, for example, I am a student and hypnosis has helped me do better in my studies.Therefore there can be professional councellers who use hypnosis to only council about academic performance. In that case they dont have to compete with doctors or call themselves healers.

4. Steve Harold - London Hypnotherapist November 8, 2007 at 7:29 AM

In my view, rest and recuperation after an operation or during an illness is a time to allow the body to heal itself. The conditions to enable healing are rest and relaxation. In the state of hypnosis, (although relaxation is not required) when relaxation is encouraged, it also provides ideal conditions for the body to go about any healing.

Positive suggestions about healing whether direct or metaphorical, could aid the healing of course… a bit like adding the icing on a cake.

In fact there is a case where a group of women who had a form of cancer were encouraged to imagine the cancer cells being attacked by knights (in shining armour no doubt). A follow up of these ladies revealed that they survived longer than those who did not use their imagination in this way.

5. danielle March 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Okay, well maybe hypnosis doesn’t heal anything, but it has proven scientifically effective as a treatment for many health conditions. Check this out: http://www.rvita.com/remedy/hypnosis.html I think you may find it interesting.

6. Cal Banyan, MA, BCH, CI, FNGH March 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Hello Dannielle,

I am with you on that. Hypnosis, done right is a powerful tool in assisting your body to heal. Thanks for posting the link!